Cheryl has extensive experience in suicide field. She has supported hundreds of people who have been exposed to suicide by having witnessed an event, discovered a death, experienced secondary trauma, lost someone they cared about or were suicidal. She is proficient in providing support for individuals or groups, and assisting businesses to develop their critical incident response plans. Having lived experience of suicide in a number of ways enables her to meld personal and practice experience with theories and skills to guide practitioners and businesses.
As a qualified trainer, she has developed + delivered training per VET requirements. Along with which for many years as the National coordinator with the StandBy support after suicide service she developed and delivered Induction, Professional development and Community education workshops for crisis workers and professionals across Australia.
Cheryl has worked in various roles in businesses, and the suicide, domestic violence, disabilities, policing, early years and government sectors. So she not only has expertise in providing training and support after suicide, but also in crisis intervention, trauma + grief counselling, setting up community organisations, coordinating multi-site programs.
This breadth of knowledge, skills and experience enables her to effective debriefing and providing professional supervision for staff from various professional backgrounds to help them manage issues they are grappling with, to sustain themselves, and develop professionally.
- 5th World Congress on Mental Health and Wellbeing – “Exposure to suicide at work: How to manage incidents and support staff and consumers”
- 19th International Mental Health ANZUS conference – “Supporting staff exposed to Suicide in the Workplace”
- Suicide Prevention Australia and Postvention Australia – “Who is first at the scene of a suicide: how are they impacted?”
- Postvention Australia – “Suicide at Work: support staff + managing incident” & “Effectively supporting young people exposed to suicide in educational settings”
- Australian Institute of Criminology – Masters research “Abuse in Intimate Relationships”
- Australian National Domestic and Family Violence conference and clearinghouse
- Queensland Law Society Elder Abuse symposium – “Elder Abuse: The Case for Inclusion in Legislative Amendments and Development of Service Provision”
Journal Articles Include:
- Healthcare Research and Public Safety Journal Volume 1; Issue 1 2019 – “Exposure to Suicide at Work: How to Manage Incidents and Support Staff and Consumers”
- Profession Supervision PASE, Profession Supervision Jane Wexler
- Cert IV FrtLMan
- Cert IV TrainAss
- Cert 111 Aged CareE
- QPR + ASIST suicide prevention / intervention